September 2014 A Note from Marcy
September means there's a crop of fresh apples waiting to be picked and baked. Orchard to kitchen, nothing beats World's Best Deep Dish Apple Cake
Dear Bakers and Friends,
It’s barely fall so the usual question of “what did you do all summer?” is still in the air. If you ask me that question, I would tell you that I worked non-stop, finally completing the new cookbook! That’s how the record will show how I spent the summer of 2014. With books, there’s this crunchy part when it takes working 24/7 to get it finally done. Most authors would agree that at this particular stretch, the book becomes a spouse you love and hate at the same time. To fall in love with your own work is a consuming passion; books are demanding lovers that want all of your time, which you want to give them because nothing less will get the job done and allow you to have your life back. Only once it’s done, you can finally come up for air!
For more newsletter and a look at the new Free recipes, please visit
At the stroke of 4 pm, August 24th, I clicked Save and then Drop-Boxed the manuscript for The Baker’s Four Seasons to the book designer team. When will the book be ready? Probably 6-8 weeks. I hope, I hope, I hope! I’ll let you know the minute I do and always, the book will be available in print as well as an E-book. I might, if I can figure out the mechanics, do a special pre-sale for BB folks.
Just so you know, the new cookbook book is a luscious collection of over 175 recipes and it also includes a Special Bonus Tea/Coffee Chapter ( over 35 bonus recipes) as well as tons of interesting, seasonal information and yet another bonus Baking Techniques Chapter. It’s a black-and-white, recipe-driven cookbook but this time, let me remind you that I’ve set up a Pinterest board of recipe photos (more to be added) Check out http://www.pinterest.com/marcygoldman/the-bakers-four-seasons-cookbook/
The very first days after I finish a book manuscript, I am (in no particular order), tired, stressed, happy, relieved, proud, and stunned. I'm keen to relax, girl shop, cook and bake new things, tango and just gather my energies (although soon, I'll be embroiled again getting the book physically out and for sale). So, on this long holiday weekend, I’m doing exactly that. Plus my family are due for dinner. Our recent tradition is making something new (main dish, dessert, bread or side) each time we get together. It's a 'food' game we play and it's called: Would We Serve This in Our Restaurant? I'll be sharing some of our hits (and perhaps tell you about some of our misses). Today's menu is a bit over-the-top: Sweet Potato Pot Pie, Fried Pizza, Riboletta Soup, Mile High Biscuits, Crazy Cornflake Fried Chicken, Raspberry Layer Cake and a Maple Sheet Cake with Caramel Fudget Topping. Sometimes, I assure you, we just have Western Omelette Sandwiches or grill hotdogs.
I’m also watching Suits, Cedar Cove (my guilty pleasure) and have enjoyed movies such as The Hundred Foot Journey to Chef, been tango-ing in the parks before a Montreal frost sends tango indoors. I’ve also found some amazing new products from Cake Boss, Dansko, and Jiva Coffee as well as cool, crafted glasses cases from my friend Kathleen on Etsy. Kathleen makes incredible custom eye glass cases out of rescued, vintage fabric. Each is one of a kind.
Pictured here is a pink and lilac number is my recent buy. You can reach Kathleen here : (and please tell her I sent you) https://www.etsy.com/people/rescuedbykathleen
Check out BB’s home page for links and reviews to Cake Boss products, www.Dansko.com (incredibly fashionable, comfort footwear for hardworking home chefs) and www.JivaCoffee.com.
In October, I’ll be sharing some special, new test kitchen recipes with you (Fried Pizza, Peel Street Pecan Pie, Coconut Chicken, Caramelized French Toast and more) so please be patient. I’m also working on making mini single-subject E-books so if all you want is Biscotti or Soups, that’s on the way. This month, September, I’ve included some easy treats as well as some Jewish New Year recipes. Don’t forget my cookbook A Treasury of Jewish Holiday Baking’s new edition, has a bonus 30 recipe cooking section and is loaded with recipe photos. I can give you a sampling of recipes from that book here at BB, but the best of the best, are all in that book. (Just saying). Publisher rumor is that Jewish Holiday Baking will also be available on Kindle soon.
As you (my baking choir friends) no doubt, food is how we celebrate life and connect to each other and to nature, since all we eat comes from the land, sky and sea. Body and spirit, we’re not beings and things apart from anything, inside or out. We’re part of it all and each other. When we bake in rhythm to what’s around us (like locally grown produce), we become part of the earth’s own heartbeat. This isn’t the beat of the proverbial different drummer; it’s the beat of the same drummer and we eat at this same, wonderful collective table. This has never more true than today, as the Internet (and food trucks!) has escalated our appetite for fusion cuisine. Once ‘fusion cuisine’ was a new style of food and a tentative trend (only a few restaurants ventured into it). Now, everything is necessarily fusion since the borders and boundaries (geography, culture and culinary rules) are all but gone. Check out the book or movie The One Hundred Foot Journey to see my point. Consequently, we’re expanding our palates. The flair of cross cultures (not to mention the enduring trend of salty, sweet, spicy, sour and hot continues) as it distills down into recipes, is always on the menu. It’s always cool, tasty, imaginative and relentlessly flavorful and exciting. Global influences, all shared, certainly inspires me as culinary professional. On a rather constant basis, I want to inhale, taste, recreate and re-invent food, via recipes and bring them over to your house for you to enjoy.
So, come back to the kitchen, start peeling, grating, chopping and mixing. Summer’s done and now there’s so much do as well as recipes and tips I want to share with you. I can’t promise you perfect; but I can promise you great fun, mess, good food, and a sense of well-being that comes from taking good care of yourself and those you love.
Happy Labor Day, happy baking and welcome to the Fall Kitchen of BetterBaking.com,
Master Baker, Author
RECIPES FOR SEPTEMBER 2014 (P.S. I also have a new baking column over at www.Clabbergirl.com so do visit and pick up more of my recipes)
Moist and Majestic Honey Cake FREE (Over 9670 Downloads)
A delicious Jewish New Year tradition that will turn a honey cake hater into a honey cake fan. This honey cake is queen of the realm - rich with honey, warmed up with some cola (trust me) and perfectly spiced. If you Google honey cake - this, my recipe, comes up a hundreds of times - making me a proud queen bee. Many people have said, this particular recipe is worth the price of A Treasury of Jewish Holiday Baking, Whitecap Books, 2009)
World's Best Deep Dish Apple Cake FREE!!!
For years, my (once) mother-in-law made an incredible deep dish apple cake. She gave me the recipe and although I followed it to the letter, my cake, while good, never looked like hers. I finally overhauled it from top to bottom myself and voila! I got the apple cake of my dreams. This is outrageous and what I called the Definitive Apple Cake. It’s also wonderfully old-fashioned and easy.
Zucchini Orange Tea Bread FREE !!! (Over 975 Downloads)
Moist, and slightly kissed with orange zest, this classic quick bread makes short work of your garden's zucchini overstock. One of my all-time favorite recipes.
Chocolate Velvet Honey Cake (Over 3006 Downloads)
Tender, chocolaty, and kissed with honey and the lightest hint of spice – this cake is queenly.
Apple Cider Biscotti
I love spice, apples and apple cider so this had to get wrapped up in a biscotti. Sometimes I glaze these with a confectioners’ sugar quick fondant glaze or instead, use the special cider/sugar dipping method to finish these off.
Perfect for Grilled Cheese Bread
Everyone needs a stand-up, grilled cheese sandwich, sacrifice bread. This is it. Grilled cheese is in. Bake the bread, buy the cheese, do the doing.
Bistro Style Zucchini Lasagna Primavera FREE (Over 2773 Downloads!)
If you can find a more ambrosial tasting lasagna, please share it. It’s light, has an additive garlic béchamel going on, and makes good use of surplus zucchini. Spinach (or finely minced, steamed kale) can also be used in this recipe with the zucchini or instead. I originally created it for Eating Well Magazine and it still is a stand-out recipe.
Creme Brulee Cheesecake Blondies Crème Brule Cheesecake Blondies
Blond ambition in a bar. Crème Brule syrup, along with a layer of cheesecake gets swirled into this golden, pecan and butterscotch chip blondie. A few steps and voila - you have baked up a legend.
Apple Rhubarb Crostata
This beautiful, free form tart adapts to any fruit but at this time of year, it's perfect with an apple-rhubarb combo. A huge, open-faced tart with tastes of summer into fall, red, rosy, sweet and tart and delicious.
"mailto:email@example.com ?Subject=Unsubscribe from Newsletter"
<a href="mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org ?Subject=Unsubscribe from Newslette
Previous Issues, Note From Marcy/Baker's Stash
Previous Monthly Essays from A Note From Marcy:
Essays to tickle your funny bone, wake up your inner baker, twinge on your heartstrings, or make you smile and say, ‘I’ve know the feeling; I know the place”. If you missed an essay, or a season in baking or inner sensibility, we invite you to stroll through our archived Notes From Marcy.
- September A Note from Marcy - September 2014
- August 2014 A Note from Marcy - August 2014
- Hachette Vs Amazon, a Cookbook Author's response - August 2014
- July 2014 A Note from Marcy - July 2014
- June 2014 A Note from Marcy - June 2014
- May 2014 A Note from Marcy - May 2014
- April 2014 A Note from Marcy - April 2014
- March 2014 A Note from Marcy - March 2014
- FEBRUARY 2014 A Note from Marcy - February 2014
- BB SUBSCRIPTION SALE - February 2014
- January 2014 A Note from Marcy - January 2014
- December 2013 A Note from Marcy - December 2013
- November 2013 A Note from Marcy - November 2013
- October 2013 A Note from Marcy - October 2013
- September 2013 A Note from Marcy - September 2013
- August 2013 A Note from Marcy - August 2013
- July 2013 A Note from Marcy - July 2013
- June 2013 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - June 2013
- May 2013 A Note from Marcy - May 2013
- April 2013 A Note from Marcy Baker's Stash - April 2013
- March 2013 A Note from Marcy - March 2013
- February 2013 A Note from Marcy - February 2013
- January 2013 A Note from Marcy - January 2013
- December 2012 A Note from Marcy - December 2012
- November 2012 A Note from Marcy - November 2012
- October 2012 A Note from Marcy - October 2012
- September 2012 A Note from Marcy - September 2012
- August 2012 A Note from Marcy Baker's Stash - August 2012
- July 2012 A Note from Marcy Baker's Stash - July 2012
- TeamBuy.ca and BetterBaking.com Subscription Special! - June 2012
- May 2012 A Note from Marcy - May 2012
- April 2012 Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - April 2012
- March 2012 A Note From Marcy - March 2012
- February 2012 A Note from Marcy - February 2012
- January 2012 A Note from Marcy - January 2012
- December 2011 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - December 2011
- November 2011 Note from Marcy Bakers Stash - November 2011
- October 2011 Note From Marcy Baker's Stash - October 2011
- September 2011 A Note from Marcy - September 2011
- August 2011 (1) Note From Marcy - August 2011
- June 2011 Note from Marcy - June 2011
- May 2011 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - May 2011
- March 2011 A Note From Marcy - March 2011
- February 2011 A Note From Marcy, Baker's Stash - February 2011
- January 2011 A Note from Marcy - January 2011
- December 2010 Baker's Stash - December 2010
- November 2010 Baker's Stash - November 2010
- October 2010 Note from Marcy & Baker's Stash - October 2010
- September 2010 Note from Marcy & Baker's Stash - September 2010
- August 2010 Baker's Stash - August 2010
- July 2010 Baker's Stash, A Note from Marcy - July 2010
- June 2010 Baker's Stash - June 2010
- April 2010 BAKER'S STASH - April 2010
- March 2010 Baker's Stash, A Note From Marcy - March 2010
- 2003-2007 PAST ISSUES Note from Marcy & Recipes - February 2010
- JANUARY 2010 BAKER'S STASH - January 2010
- December 2009 Baker's Stash - December 2009
- September 2009 Baker's Stash - September 2009
- April 2009 Bakers Stash - April 2009
- March 2009 Baker's Stash Baking With Mom, Feminist in the Kitchen and some Retro - March 2009
- February 2009 Baker's Recipe Stash - February 2009
- January 2009 Baker's Stash - January 2009
- December 2008 Baker's Stash - December 2008
- November 2008 A Note From Marcy - November 2008
- A note from Marcy - December 2007
- A Note from Marcy - February 2007 - An Oreo Love Affair
- A Note from Marcy - January 2007 - When Bakers Cook, Recipes deChef
- A Note from Marcy - December 2006 - Shortbread and Other Favorite Things
- A Note from Marcy - November 2006 - Thank Goodness for Pie
- A Note from Marcy - October 2006 - A Salute to Chocolate Chip Cookies
- A Note from Marcy - September 2006 - The Back to School Carrot Cake Issue
- A Note From Marcy - August 2006 - The Sourdough Magic Issue
- A Note from Marcy - July 2006 - The Annual BB Picnic Issue
- A Note from Marcy - June 2006 - The Bountiful Berry Issue
- A Note from Marcy - May 2006 - Pride and Pastry or Tea With Jane
- A Note from Marcy - April 2006 - The Breakfast Baking Issue and Fresh Starts
- A Note from Marcy March 2006 Passion - Gettin' Some - March 2006 - Havana A Heat Wave, Baking with A Latin Beat and The Passion Play
- A Note from Marcy - February 2006 - Memoirs of A Geisha Baking, Valentineâ€™s Sweets
- A Note from Marcy - January 2006 - The You're Toast, A Salute To Slicing Loaves and More
- A Note from Marcy - December 2005 - Bake It Forward, Gift Baking Issue
- A Note from Marcy - November 2005 - Open Hearth Hosting or Guess Who's Coming For Dinner
- A Note from Marcy - October 2005 - It All Happens for a Reason or Sometimes Bread Just Doesn't Rise.....
- A Note from Marcy - September 2005 - Baking By the Code
- A Note from Marcy - August 2005 - The Tao of Pie
- A Note from Marcy - July 2005 - The Journey of the Journal plus Twix Bars!
- A Note from Marcy - June 2005 - A Pastry Chefs Trial by Cheesecakes
- A Note from Marcy - May 2005 - The Frontier Baking Issue/Living Big in a Small Venue
- A Note from Marcy - April 2005 - When Harry Met Salad
- A Note from Marcy - March 2005 - Baking with an Irish Broque; A Romance in the Dairy Queen One Fine March
- A Note from Marcy - February 2005 - She Just Doesnâ€™t Get Him, Valentineâ€™s Day Rebuttal and Cupcakes Galore
- A Note from Marcy - January 2005 - The Art of Changing and Making Space in a New Year
- A Note from Marcy - December 2004 - The Shall We Dance or Shall We Bake, Holiday Baking Issue and an Ode to Dance
- A Note from Marcy - November 2004 - The Bread and Soup Issue and How A Canadian Became Americanized (sort of)
- A Note from Marcy - October 2004 - The Field of Dreams Issue, Baseball and the Baker
- A Note from Marcy - September 2004 - The Catcher of the Rye Issue, What Falls Away, the Sweet Taste of Forgiveness and Letting Go
- A Note from Marcy - August 2004 - Itâ€™s All Greek To Me Issue and The Evils of Multi-Tasking
- A Note from Marcy - July 2004 - The Gone Fishinâ€™ Issue/Summer in the River City, A Bakerâ€™s Musical
- A Note from Marcy - June 2004 - The All That Jazz Issue, How To Scat and Improvise in Wheat
- A Note from Marcy - May 2004 - The Bread and Roses Issue, Goddess, Feminist or Feminineâ€¦and Fudge
- A Note from Marcy - April 2004 - Waiting for Happy, or If I Won the Lotto
- A Note from Marcy - March 2004 - Meet You in the Bookstore, My Love Affair with Books
- A Note from Marcy - February 2004 - Sweets for the Sweet, a Valentine From the Baker
- A Note from Marcy - January 2004 - How To Eat Right or Resolution 2004 â€“ How Not To Diet
- A Note From Marcy - December 2003 - The Sugar and Spice Issue
- A Note from Marcy - November 2003 - How To Weather the Weather, or Keeping Cozy in Late Fall
- A Note from Marcy - October 2003 (Part 2) - They Laughed When I Got Up To Bake, Hotel School Trials
- A Note from Marcy - October 2003 (Part 1) - How I Got Into Baking, A Bakerâ€™s Beginnings Part 1
- A Note from Marcy - September 2003 - Welcome To Wheatland, a bakerâ€™s fantasy or Camelot in Flour
- A Note from Marcy - August 2003 - Notes on Homemade Krispie Kreme Doughnuts
- A Note From Marcy - July 2003 - Memories of Summer Music Camp or Baking to Birdland
- A Note From Marcy - June 2003 - How to Play Hooky in Summer, An Urban Adventure
- February 2009 Baker's Stash
- April 2011 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash
- October 2008 Baker's Stash
- May 2010 Baker's Stash
- February 2009 Issue Baking by Heart Copy
- March 2009 Baker's Recipe Stash
- April 2009 Baker's Stash
- Free Bonus Cronut Recipe!
- September 2008 Baker's Stash