November 2014 A Note from Marcy
This beautiful artwork is by Robin Lucile Anderson. You can see more of her works at http://robinandersonfineart.blogspot.ca/ Hope it inspires you to bake Cranberry Sugar Crusted Biscotti or Cranberries 'N Cream Scones. The full recipe collection follows below the Note from Marcy.
Dear Friends and Fellow Bakers,
Welcome to the November and happy daylight's saving time of year! Don't fret, we'll bake the earlier darkness of the days ahead with some extra special goodies.
This month, I’ve baked up some incredible recipes for you to enjoy, most of them with a special nod to American Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is such a wonderful occasion to strut your stuff as a baker (even for this Canadian) along with keeping the gratitude thing in mind. I for one, am grateful there's flour, butter, wood spoons and trusty ovens with which to create magic.
With that in mind, there's a host of tempting recipes including FREE Cranberry Sugar Crusted Biscotti, Double Garlic Twisty Cheesy Bread and Pumpkin Bread Pudding. All that and more sugar and spice in the Complete Recipe Archives (including any main dish or Thanksgiving side dish you could ask for). Please note that free recipes are free for the month and then retired back into the Recipe Archives.
My newest cookbook, The Baker's Four Seasons is looking good (it's all done - and now it's just having a gorgeous index created for it). Soon, it will be available for pre-order - so stayed tuned!
It's one of my biggest baking cookbooks ever, and the interior is beautifully and whimiscally designed. Photos for the recipes will be on Pinterest. Over 175 recipes and a gorgeous bonus Teas and Potions chapters - it's been a book that has taken over 5 years to produce. Remember too, each cookbook purchase (of mine) you make, garners you a bonus gift of free 4 months of BB Recipe Archives access.
Other than that, I've been at tango, writing my 'tango novel' (and finishing the children's baseball story) at the Starbucks around the corner (I am getting more used to writing off premise), and heroically or pathetically, (depending on your view point), rescusing feral cats. Yesterday, I captured one, a young gray tabby, in the special cage the SPCA loaned me. I actually loaded the equivalent of a wild (thrashing) cougar into my car and drove him to get his shots and whatnot (what's whatnot? don't ask). Today I pick up Miles Davis (that's his name) who I hope will be calmer for the return car ride and then set him back into the wilds (part of a SPCA program). Aside from cat wrangling, I've also been reading a fair bit and can wholly recommend Marcus Samuelsson's book, Yes, Chef, which is one of the best chef's memoir's to date.
This fall finds me busy with family and friends and grateful every minute for those blessings. Sometimes, as many of you will agree, friends ARE your family. The older I get, the more I see the value of those bonds. While they are not the same as those of blood, they are certainly as valued, real and equal; sometimes, more than equal. When it comes to who you love and connect with, both at your table and in your life, the heart has the last word.
And on that note, to you my baking friends, my extended 'family', Happy Thanksgiving, happy Daylight's Saving time, and as always, happy baking.
Author and Master Baker
November 2014 Recipes of the Month
FREE!!! Sweet Potato Pie Pound Cake with Brown Sugar Pecan Glaze
From The New Best of BetterBaking.com, Marcy Goldman, Whitecap Books, this is a lofty spice cake, perfect for Thanksgiving or any coffee klatch occasion. This is a fine-grained, delicate cake that's also moist and gently spiced. It features a penuche-style sweet pecan brown sugar glaze. This is the recipe my testers bring to work, volunteer venues, schools and the book club when they want to get raves.
Apple Cranberry Tart Cake Over 2764 downloads!
This is the perfect marriage between cake and pastry - it is a showstopper that will bring raves. Use soft sweet apples (such as Golden Delicious and McIntosh) for the best flavor and texture. Make it a day ahead. Once chilled, the result is tall wedges of solid fruit in a pastry crust. Use a really sharp serrated knife to cut.
FREE Cranberries 'N Cream Scones
So many cranberry scone recipes and yet, each one is different. This makes an exceptional tender, flaky, crisp outer but soft inside, sort of scone. It's a must at Thanksgiving. Make these small to serve as a side bread or dust with sugar before baking, to serve as dessert. Offer with pumpkin ice-cream and bourbon-spiked creme anglaise to spruce them up a notch.
Clementine Cranberry Pound Cake
A tangy twist for pound cake that is a great coffeecake for Thanksgiving tea time. Use seedless, little oranges such as clementines for full flavor and thin skins and wash the outer skin of the fruit first. Dust this elegant cake with confectioners' sugar or use the Orange Fondant as a spiffier glaze. If you get tired of pumpkin pie and pecans, this is another seasonal option.
Pumpkin Bread Pudding
Use your own, or our Pumpkin Bread recipe as the basis of this ambrosial, decadent, different dessert. Make it thick, bake it long, serve in huge, chilled squares. Or serve it warm with custard or vanilla ice-cream.
White Chocolate Thanksgiving Pecan Pie
This pecan pie is thick, dense, creamy, rich, and subtly different. Don’t you find that everything wonderful is even better when you add white chocolate to it. Just use the best white chocolate you can find. This pie filling rises up, teeters a bit, and then slowly settles and sets. Use a 10-inch quiche pan with removable bottom. Semi-freeze, cut, and then let warm to room temperature for neat serving slices and make sure you use a sharp, serrated knife to do the honors.
Thanksgiving needs some great side breads – here’s a quartet of my favorites
Double Garlic Twisty Cheesy Bread
A gourmet garlic experience. This is simply one of the zestiest, addictive breads you will ever make. People tear into this while it is still hot. Great with salad, spaghetti or on its own as a hearty snack. Both fresh and dry powdered garlic dust this Mediterranean ode to garlic. If you're really in a hurry, use prepared or frozen/defrosted white bread dough or pizza dough. I serve this with warm marinara sauce for dipping or melted goat cheese to smear on.
Golden Corn Rolls for Thanksgiving
Johnny-come-lately and you'll miss this great corn roll. It`s a golden gorgeous cross between a rich white bread and golden yellow corn bread - sort of like if a brioche married a corn bread. These are tender, golden, slightly sweet - and perfect to sop up gravy or as the foundation of a Cranberry Turkey Club sandwich the day after Thanksgiving.
Extra Flakey Butter Biscuits
A combination of leaveners make these biscuits extra light. My best biscuits, plain and simple. Perfect for Thanksgiving or anytime you want the world's best biscuit.
Miniature Corn Bread with Sour Cherries
Crunchy outside, airy and moist inside.Sour cherries make these mini-cornbreads especially interesting but the main event is the best-ever-cornbread-ever, baked up into little side rolls.
Unsubscribe from Newsletter
Previous Issues, Note From Marcy/Baker's Stash
Previous Monthly Essays from A Note From Marcy:
Essays to tickle your funny bone, wake up your inner baker, twinge on your heartstrings, or make you smile and say, ‘I’ve know the feeling; I know the place”. If you missed an essay, or a season in baking or inner sensibility, we invite you to stroll through our archived Notes From Marcy.
- November 2014 A Note From Marcy - November 2014
- October A Note from Marcy - October 2014
- September A Note from Marcy - September 2014
- August 2014 A Note from Marcy - August 2014
- Hachette Vs Amazon, a Cookbook Author's response - August 2014
- July 2014 A Note from Marcy - July 2014
- June 2014 A Note from Marcy - June 2014
- May 2014 A Note from Marcy - May 2014
- April 2014 A Note from Marcy - April 2014
- March 2014 A Note from Marcy - March 2014
- FEBRUARY 2014 A Note from Marcy - February 2014
- BB SUBSCRIPTION SALE - February 2014
- January 2014 A Note from Marcy - January 2014
- December 2013 A Note from Marcy - December 2013
- November 2013 A Note from Marcy - November 2013
- October 2013 A Note from Marcy - October 2013
- September 2013 A Note from Marcy - September 2013
- August 2013 A Note from Marcy - August 2013
- July 2013 A Note from Marcy - July 2013
- June 2013 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - June 2013
- May 2013 A Note from Marcy - May 2013
- April 2013 A Note from Marcy Baker's Stash - April 2013
- March 2013 A Note from Marcy - March 2013
- February 2013 A Note from Marcy - February 2013
- January 2013 A Note from Marcy - January 2013
- December 2012 A Note from Marcy - December 2012
- November 2012 A Note from Marcy - November 2012
- October 2012 A Note from Marcy - October 2012
- September 2012 A Note from Marcy - September 2012
- August 2012 A Note from Marcy Baker's Stash - August 2012
- July 2012 A Note from Marcy Baker's Stash - July 2012
- TeamBuy.ca and BetterBaking.com Subscription Special! - June 2012
- May 2012 A Note from Marcy - May 2012
- April 2012 Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - April 2012
- March 2012 A Note From Marcy - March 2012
- February 2012 A Note from Marcy - February 2012
- January 2012 A Note from Marcy - January 2012
- December 2011 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - December 2011
- November 2011 Note from Marcy Bakers Stash - November 2011
- October 2011 Note From Marcy Baker's Stash - October 2011
- September 2011 A Note from Marcy - September 2011
- August 2011 (1) Note From Marcy - August 2011
- June 2011 Note from Marcy - June 2011
- May 2011 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - May 2011
- March 2011 A Note From Marcy - March 2011
- February 2011 A Note From Marcy, Baker's Stash - February 2011
- January 2011 A Note from Marcy - January 2011
- December 2010 Baker's Stash - December 2010
- November 2010 Baker's Stash - November 2010
- October 2010 Note from Marcy & Baker's Stash - October 2010
- September 2010 Note from Marcy & Baker's Stash - September 2010
- August 2010 Baker's Stash - August 2010
- July 2010 Baker's Stash, A Note from Marcy - July 2010
- June 2010 Baker's Stash - June 2010
- April 2010 BAKER'S STASH - April 2010
- March 2010 Baker's Stash, A Note From Marcy - March 2010
- 2003-2007 PAST ISSUES Note from Marcy & Recipes - February 2010
- JANUARY 2010 BAKER'S STASH - January 2010
- December 2009 Baker's Stash - December 2009
- September 2009 Baker's Stash - September 2009
- April 2009 Bakers Stash - April 2009
- March 2009 Baker's Stash Baking With Mom, Feminist in the Kitchen and some Retro - March 2009
- February 2009 Baker's Recipe Stash - February 2009
- January 2009 Baker's Stash - January 2009
- December 2008 Baker's Stash - December 2008
- November 2008 A Note From Marcy - November 2008
- A note from Marcy - December 2007
- A Note from Marcy - February 2007 - An Oreo Love Affair
- A Note from Marcy - January 2007 - When Bakers Cook, Recipes deChef
- A Note from Marcy - December 2006 - Shortbread and Other Favorite Things
- A Note from Marcy - November 2006 - Thank Goodness for Pie
- A Note from Marcy - October 2006 - A Salute to Chocolate Chip Cookies
- A Note from Marcy - September 2006 - The Back to School Carrot Cake Issue
- A Note From Marcy - August 2006 - The Sourdough Magic Issue
- A Note from Marcy - July 2006 - The Annual BB Picnic Issue
- A Note from Marcy - June 2006 - The Bountiful Berry Issue
- A Note from Marcy - May 2006 - Pride and Pastry or Tea With Jane
- A Note from Marcy - April 2006 - The Breakfast Baking Issue and Fresh Starts
- A Note from Marcy March 2006 Passion - Gettin' Some - March 2006 - Havana A Heat Wave, Baking with A Latin Beat and The Passion Play
- A Note from Marcy - February 2006 - Memoirs of A Geisha Baking, Valentineâ€™s Sweets
- A Note from Marcy - January 2006 - The You're Toast, A Salute To Slicing Loaves and More
- A Note from Marcy - December 2005 - Bake It Forward, Gift Baking Issue
- A Note from Marcy - November 2005 - Open Hearth Hosting or Guess Who's Coming For Dinner
- A Note from Marcy - October 2005 - It All Happens for a Reason or Sometimes Bread Just Doesn't Rise.....
- A Note from Marcy - September 2005 - Baking By the Code
- A Note from Marcy - August 2005 - The Tao of Pie
- A Note from Marcy - July 2005 - The Journey of the Journal plus Twix Bars!
- A Note from Marcy - June 2005 - A Pastry Chefs Trial by Cheesecakes
- A Note from Marcy - May 2005 - The Frontier Baking Issue/Living Big in a Small Venue
- A Note from Marcy - April 2005 - When Harry Met Salad
- A Note from Marcy - March 2005 - Baking with an Irish Broque; A Romance in the Dairy Queen One Fine March
- A Note from Marcy - February 2005 - She Just Doesnâ€™t Get Him, Valentineâ€™s Day Rebuttal and Cupcakes Galore
- A Note from Marcy - January 2005 - The Art of Changing and Making Space in a New Year
- A Note from Marcy - December 2004 - The Shall We Dance or Shall We Bake, Holiday Baking Issue and an Ode to Dance
- A Note from Marcy - November 2004 - The Bread and Soup Issue and How A Canadian Became Americanized (sort of)
- A Note from Marcy - October 2004 - The Field of Dreams Issue, Baseball and the Baker
- A Note from Marcy - September 2004 - The Catcher of the Rye Issue, What Falls Away, the Sweet Taste of Forgiveness and Letting Go
- A Note from Marcy - August 2004 - Itâ€™s All Greek To Me Issue and The Evils of Multi-Tasking
- A Note from Marcy - July 2004 - The Gone Fishinâ€™ Issue/Summer in the River City, A Bakerâ€™s Musical
- A Note from Marcy - June 2004 - The All That Jazz Issue, How To Scat and Improvise in Wheat
- A Note from Marcy - May 2004 - The Bread and Roses Issue, Goddess, Feminist or Feminineâ€¦and Fudge
- A Note from Marcy - April 2004 - Waiting for Happy, or If I Won the Lotto
- A Note from Marcy - March 2004 - Meet You in the Bookstore, My Love Affair with Books
- A Note from Marcy - February 2004 - Sweets for the Sweet, a Valentine From the Baker
- A Note from Marcy - January 2004 - How To Eat Right or Resolution 2004 â€“ How Not To Diet
- A Note From Marcy - December 2003 - The Sugar and Spice Issue
- A Note from Marcy - November 2003 - How To Weather the Weather, or Keeping Cozy in Late Fall
- A Note from Marcy - October 2003 (Part 2) - They Laughed When I Got Up To Bake, Hotel School Trials
- A Note from Marcy - October 2003 (Part 1) - How I Got Into Baking, A Bakerâ€™s Beginnings Part 1
- A Note from Marcy - September 2003 - Welcome To Wheatland, a bakerâ€™s fantasy or Camelot in Flour
- A Note from Marcy - August 2003 - Notes on Homemade Krispie Kreme Doughnuts
- A Note From Marcy - July 2003 - Memories of Summer Music Camp or Baking to Birdland
- A Note From Marcy - June 2003 - How to Play Hooky in Summer, An Urban Adventure
- February 2009 Baker's Stash
- April 2011 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash
- October 2008 Baker's Stash
- May 2010 Baker's Stash
- February 2009 Issue Baking by Heart Copy
- March 2009 Baker's Recipe Stash
- April 2009 Baker's Stash
- The Baker's Four Seasons by Marcy Goldman
- Free Bonus Cronut Recipe!
- September 2008 Baker's Stash