July 2015 A Note from Marcy
Since you asked: All Recipe Access Sale at BB. $19.99 USD via Paypal to MarcyGoldman@bell.net.
$19.99 for a Year of BB, ALL RECIPE ACCESS
Since (many of you) asked – yes, the $19.99 USD special is on again until the end of July 2015.
If you’d like to have all BB Recipe Access, it’s via Paypal.com (our Paypal account is email@example.com).
Once funds are received, we log you on ASAP and update your account.
Free Garlic,Fresh Herbs and Tomato Focaccio and Free Sunny Ratatouille Soup plus treats like Greek Yogurt Health Cookies, Lemon Cream Pie Cupcakes and Utah Fried Scones. It's all in the July 2015 Issue of www.Betterbaking.com or July 2015 A Note from Marcy
Dear Baking Friends,
Welcome to the July 2015 Issue of BB. I am delighted to have you back in the BB test kitchen, baking our way through these mellow months. I’ve included some special treats that are perfect for the balmy climes of summer.
On this end, my son’s restaurant, www.RedBirdCafe.com is now in week #3 and becoming known in the neighbourhood. Reviews have been great and it's gratifying that friends of BB (here in Montreal) have made their way to Red Bird. Although I am working on some new baking books, I go into the cafe often, to introduce new recipes, refine the menu and share some baking and cooking tips with our baker and cook. It's very exciting!
I'm delighted to see that Red Bird's customers are responding so positively to the menu. In particular, the muffins and cookies are flying off the shelf and the salads and wraps I created (Turkey Gratitude Wrap, Count Balzac Chicken and Grilled Vegetables, Good Fortune Asian Chicken Salad) are a huge success. People seem to really like the interesting, international flavors of the fare. My carrot cake still reigns supreme. Amazingly, considering it’s summer, the soups are also being slurped with great gusto.
Healthy, gourmet, global flavors ‘on the go’ is what Red Bird is all about. It stems from what I am all about: healthy, unique, a little exotic and wholesome (discounting Chocolate Eruption Cheesecake, etc.). For myself, I create more vegetarian meals these days but still like my proteins (chicken, fish, turkey) as well as buttery pastries, breads, fruit muffins, biscuits and cornbread. I also like my ‘grainy, healthy baking’ just as much. As with everything, I am intrigued by the seasonings, spices and flavors of other cuisines. I love marrying those new notes with classics to create new twists. Speaking of which, I'm almost done with MY version of a great Black Bean Burger. Mine is a chewy, smoky, meaty tasting burger that’s totally vegetarian. I had to build it from the ground up having tried other recipes and approaches and what can I say? Like Dorothy, there’s no place like home (i.e. my own test kitchen and my own instincts). I am sorry that for now I can't share recipes from the restaurant on the website but stay tuned - one day, there is sure to be a Red Bird Cookbook. Overall, I approach recipes with a nod to what's healthy, what's easy, what's trending, tasty and widely appealing. If something is healthy but looks awful or tastes wholesome (and not in a good way!), then it doesn't go out of my test kitchen.
New businesses like Red Bird Café are like embers that need caring puffs of air blown on them, in order for them to grow. It occurs to me that changes in our lives are like that too, i.e. little embers of new fire. Inasmuch as I dislike change, it’s inevitable so I try and see the changes that loom as embers that will, given some time and care, will warm me. Once I embrace it, these embers of change, then I try and keep the sails aloft by feeding it as much oxygen as I can muster. (Apologies for the mixed metaphors). One has to both blow and crow over things to encourage seedlings to root and flourish, as well as water things with Time and Faith.
What many of us often fail to see is that making a change is one thing; feeling and embracing it and becoming the change (the feeling of it and the new identity that results) takes time. How much time? Always longer than you think. It's when you stop asking, are we there yet, that you see, you've arrived.
The last few years have been ones of great transitions on this end and there doesn’t seem to be land in sight. But on the journey, I have felt myself morph. Have you ever experienced that? You want something, you try for it, you claw and grasp your way towards it. But once there? You are a totally different person in a new and alien land. Most of us are hooked on the belief that the destination will make us happy but the truth is, it's the journey that shapes us into what we’re supposed to be. That has to be a more more authentic place than the vision board happiness we aimed for. It's on us to learn to trust that but when you feel the resonation (it's just one of those good vibes) that's when you know, you're not only on the right path; you're there.
Well, some things change and others, such as my love of baking and the written word. I might be a different baker or writer than I was when I started this journey, (certainly I write leaner!), but the passion hasn’t wavered. You can find a lot more of my works on www.Medium.com. Invented by the guys who invented Twitter, Medium.com is a place to read works of anyone who posts their stuff. Search Marcy Goldman on www.Medium.com if you’re curious. I would also encourage you to follow me on Twitter. I'll be posting new, free recipes from time to time via my Twitter account.
In the spirit of summer, I am pleased to share some hand-crafted, hand-plucked, summery recipes with you. I wish you happy July, happy Canada Day, July 4th (I’ll be at my American cousin’s Canadian wedding on July 4th!) and always, happy baking.
Author, Master Baker
July 2015 New Recipes of the Month
Garlic,Fresh Herbs and Tomato Focaccio FREE
Over 4250 Downloads!
A zesty bread that is great with salads and grilled fish or as the base of panini.
Sunny Ratatouille Soup FREE
Over 500 Downloads!
A beautiful soup for summer that is soul-satisfying but light and vegetarian.
Greek Yogurt Health Cookies
Over 1130 Downloads
These are delicious, healthy and soul-and-body satisfying cookies. They whip up in seconds and have all you need in the way of complex carbs. The recipe includes interesting ancient grains, the benefits of raw almonds, brainy pumpkin seeds, heart healthy coconut oil and hemp. For yet more health and taste, there's a shot of Greek yogurt and the perk of some dried fruit as well as fresh cranberries. This is the sort of cookie to pack in the car so that when hunger strikes, you reach for these good carbs. Did I tell you these are simply delicious?
Zucchini Apple Muffins
Over 820 Downloads
A great way to use up summer’s bounty.
Lemon Cream Pie Cupcakes
Over 2200 Downloads
A tender yellow batter is the foundation of this marvelous cupcake that hides a cache of lemon pie filling in its center.
Cape Cod Cranberry Plum Pie
Over 1500 Downloads
Succulent, luscious, summery pie.
Utah Fried Scones
Over 725 Downloads
A sumptuous recipe for sweet fry bread with an orange butter glaze.
Americana Apple Tart Over 1740 Downloads
A little something for the 4th of July. Gorgeous, easy, make-ahead - a crowd-pleasing delight.
Sweet Yeasted Maple Bread Over 750 downloads
Happy Canada Day with a maple kiss!
Specuate on Speculoos! Over 1680 Downloads on one recipe !
(Just a short note that while the recipe is now retired into a new cookbook (on holiday cookies!), in its debut (June Issue of BB) over 1680 people downloaded Biscoff or Speculoos Cookies. Wow - either you like cookies a whole lot (and know a great recipe when you see one) or there's more Speculoos fans out there than I thought. I also was charmed to see there's a Speculoos ice-cream out there, courtesy of Ben and Jerry's, http://www.benjerry.com/flavors/spectacular-speculoos-cookie-core)
My Cookbooks! Print or Ebooks - any book purchase garners you 4-months Bonus of BB Recipe Acccess.
My newest cookbook on Amazon and Kindle
Don't forget - any cookbook purchase gets you a bonus of 4 months of BB Recipe Access (just send in the e-receipt)
Unsubscribe from Newsletter
Previous Issues, Note From Marcy/Baker's Stash
Previous Monthly Essays from A Note From Marcy:
Essays to tickle your funny bone, wake up your inner baker, twinge on your heartstrings, or make you smile and say, ‘I’ve know the feeling; I know the place”. If you missed an essay, or a season in baking or inner sensibility, we invite you to stroll through our archived Notes From Marcy.
- July 2015 A Note from Marcy - July 2015
- June 2015 A Note from Marcy - June 2015
- May 2015 A Note from Marcy - May 2015
- APRIL 2015 A Note from Marcy - April 2015
- March 2015 A Note from Marcy - March 2015
- February 2015 A Note from Marcy - February 2015
- January 2015 A Note from Marcy - January 2015
- December 2014 A Note from Marcy - December 2014
- November 2014 A Note From Marcy - November 2014
- October A Note from Marcy - October 2014
- September 2014 A Note from Marcy - September 2014
- Hachette Vs Amazon, a Cookbook Author's response - August 2014
- August 2014 A Note from Marcy - August 2014
- July 2014 A Note from Marcy - July 2014
- June 2014 A Note from Marcy - June 2014
- May 2014 A Note from Marcy - May 2014
- April 2014 A Note from Marcy - April 2014
- March 2014 A Note from Marcy - March 2014
- FEBRUARY 2014 A Note from Marcy - February 2014
- January 2014 A Note from Marcy - January 2014
- December 2013 A Note from Marcy - December 2013
- November 2013 A Note from Marcy - November 2013
- October 2013 A Note from Marcy - October 2013
- September 2013 A Note from Marcy - September 2013
- August 2013 A Note from Marcy - August 2013
- July 2013 A Note from Marcy - July 2013
- June 2013 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - June 2013
- May 2013 A Note from Marcy - May 2013
- April 2013 A Note from Marcy Baker's Stash - April 2013
- March 2013 A Note from Marcy - March 2013
- February 2013 A Note from Marcy - February 2013
- January 2013 A Note from Marcy - January 2013
- December 2012 A Note from Marcy - December 2012
- November 2012 A Note from Marcy - November 2012
- October 2012 A Note from Marcy - October 2012
- September 2012 A Note from Marcy - September 2012
- August 2012 A Note from Marcy Baker's Stash - August 2012
- July 2012 A Note from Marcy Baker's Stash - July 2012
- TeamBuy.ca and BetterBaking.com Subscription Special! - June 2012
- May 2012 A Note from Marcy - May 2012
- April 2012 Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - April 2012
- March 2012 A Note From Marcy - March 2012
- February 2012 A Note from Marcy - February 2012
- January 2012 A Note from Marcy - January 2012
- December 2011 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - December 2011
- November 2011 Note from Marcy Bakers Stash - November 2011
- October 2011 Note From Marcy Baker's Stash - October 2011
- September 2011 A Note from Marcy - September 2011
- August 2011 (1) Note From Marcy - August 2011
- June 2011 Note from Marcy - June 2011
- May 2011 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - May 2011
- March 2011 A Note From Marcy - March 2011
- February 2011 A Note From Marcy, Baker's Stash - February 2011
- January 2011 A Note from Marcy - January 2011
- December 2010 Baker's Stash - December 2010
- November 2010 Baker's Stash - November 2010
- October 2010 Note from Marcy & Baker's Stash - October 2010
- September 2010 Note from Marcy & Baker's Stash - September 2010
- August 2010 Baker's Stash - August 2010
- July 2010 Baker's Stash, A Note from Marcy - July 2010
- June 2010 Baker's Stash - June 2010
- April 2010 BAKER'S STASH - April 2010
- March 2010 Baker's Stash, A Note From Marcy - March 2010
- 2003-2007 PAST ISSUES Note from Marcy & Recipes - February 2010
- JANUARY 2010 BAKER'S STASH - January 2010
- December 2009 Baker's Stash - December 2009
- September 2009 Baker's Stash - September 2009
- April 2009 Bakers Stash - April 2009
- March 2009 Baker's Stash Baking With Mom, Feminist in the Kitchen and some Retro - March 2009
- February 2009 Baker's Recipe Stash - February 2009
- January 2009 Baker's Stash - January 2009
- December 2008 Baker's Stash - December 2008
- November 2008 A Note From Marcy - November 2008
- A note from Marcy - December 2007
- A Note from Marcy - February 2007 - An Oreo Love Affair
- A Note from Marcy - January 2007 - When Bakers Cook, Recipes deChef
- A Note from Marcy - December 2006 - Shortbread and Other Favorite Things
- A Note from Marcy - November 2006 - Thank Goodness for Pie
- A Note from Marcy - October 2006 - A Salute to Chocolate Chip Cookies
- A Note from Marcy - September 2006 - The Back to School Carrot Cake Issue
- A Note From Marcy - August 2006 - The Sourdough Magic Issue
- A Note from Marcy - July 2006 - The Annual BB Picnic Issue
- A Note from Marcy - June 2006 - The Bountiful Berry Issue
- A Note from Marcy - May 2006 - Pride and Pastry or Tea With Jane
- A Note from Marcy - April 2006 - The Breakfast Baking Issue and Fresh Starts
- A Note from Marcy March 2006 Passion - Gettin' Some - March 2006 - Havana A Heat Wave, Baking with A Latin Beat and The Passion Play
- A Note from Marcy - February 2006 - Memoirs of A Geisha Baking, Valentineâ€™s Sweets
- A Note from Marcy - January 2006 - The You're Toast, A Salute To Slicing Loaves and More
- A Note from Marcy - December 2005 - Bake It Forward, Gift Baking Issue
- A Note from Marcy - November 2005 - Open Hearth Hosting or Guess Who's Coming For Dinner
- A Note from Marcy - October 2005 - It All Happens for a Reason or Sometimes Bread Just Doesn't Rise.....
- A Note from Marcy - September 2005 - Baking By the Code
- A Note from Marcy - August 2005 - The Tao of Pie
- A Note from Marcy - July 2005 - The Journey of the Journal plus Twix Bars!
- A Note from Marcy - June 2005 - A Pastry Chefs Trial by Cheesecakes
- A Note from Marcy - May 2005 - The Frontier Baking Issue/Living Big in a Small Venue
- A Note from Marcy - April 2005 - When Harry Met Salad
- A Note from Marcy - March 2005 - Baking with an Irish Broque; A Romance in the Dairy Queen One Fine March
- A Note from Marcy - February 2005 - She Just Doesnâ€™t Get Him, Valentineâ€™s Day Rebuttal and Cupcakes Galore
- A Note from Marcy - January 2005 - The Art of Changing and Making Space in a New Year
- A Note from Marcy - December 2004 - The Shall We Dance or Shall We Bake, Holiday Baking Issue and an Ode to Dance
- A Note from Marcy - November 2004 - The Bread and Soup Issue and How A Canadian Became Americanized (sort of)
- A Note from Marcy - October 2004 - The Field of Dreams Issue, Baseball and the Baker
- A Note from Marcy - September 2004 - The Catcher of the Rye Issue, What Falls Away, the Sweet Taste of Forgiveness and Letting Go
- A Note from Marcy - August 2004 - Itâ€™s All Greek To Me Issue and The Evils of Multi-Tasking
- A Note from Marcy - July 2004 - The Gone Fishinâ€™ Issue/Summer in the River City, A Bakerâ€™s Musical
- A Note from Marcy - June 2004 - The All That Jazz Issue, How To Scat and Improvise in Wheat
- A Note from Marcy - May 2004 - The Bread and Roses Issue, Goddess, Feminist or Feminineâ€¦and Fudge
- A Note from Marcy - April 2004 - Waiting for Happy, or If I Won the Lotto
- A Note from Marcy - March 2004 - Meet You in the Bookstore, My Love Affair with Books
- A Note from Marcy - February 2004 - Sweets for the Sweet, a Valentine From the Baker
- A Note from Marcy - January 2004 - How To Eat Right or Resolution 2004 â€“ How Not To Diet
- A Note From Marcy - December 2003 - The Sugar and Spice Issue
- A Note from Marcy - November 2003 - How To Weather the Weather, or Keeping Cozy in Late Fall
- A Note from Marcy - October 2003 (Part 2) - They Laughed When I Got Up To Bake, Hotel School Trials
- A Note from Marcy - October 2003 (Part 1) - How I Got Into Baking, A Bakerâ€™s Beginnings Part 1
- A Note from Marcy - September 2003 - Welcome To Wheatland, a bakerâ€™s fantasy or Camelot in Flour
- A Note from Marcy - August 2003 - Notes on Homemade Krispie Kreme Doughnuts
- A Note From Marcy - July 2003 - Memories of Summer Music Camp or Baking to Birdland
- A Note From Marcy - June 2003 - How to Play Hooky in Summer, An Urban Adventure
- February 2009 Baker's Stash
- The Baker's Four Seasons by Marcy Goldman
- April 2011 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash
- October 2008 Baker's Stash
- May 2010 Baker's Stash
- February 2009 Issue Baking by Heart Copy
- March 2009 Baker's Recipe Stash
- April 2009 Baker's Stash
- Free Bonus Cronut Recipe!
- September 2008 Baker's Stash