December 2011 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash
Winterset Strudel, the perfect recipe for almost any holiday and any baker. Who doesn't love strudel?
Dear Bakers and Friends,
Welcome to the December 2011 Issue of BB. I am so glad to see the holidays upon us. December is like an old friend - the sort of friend that can drive you crazy and then when all's said and done, you are so happy to see them.....come December when the year, whatever it brought you, is forgiven.
This month, for the holiday season, I am featuring some (free) classic gotta-bake things as well as a new inspiration or two. As always, I remind you that almost everything you need is in the Complete Recipe Archives from more shortbread and other holiday cookies, Hanukkah briskets, Hanukkah donuts and any sort of holiday rugulah you can imagine, as well as a ton of hospitality food from hors d’oeuvres to amazing soups. There's acres of specialty cookies, fruitcakes, steamed pudding and the world's best hot cocoa. There’s even, if you browse the Archives, gifts from the kitchen to get you through to 2012’s doorstep. And if you need a last minute gift suggestion, I suggest a gift subscription to BB - $5 for a whole month of all-recipe access (just visit the To Subscribe page).
As always, all the recipes in this issue, are at the BB website. Why things don’t link consistently from the newsletter back to the website is one of the mysteries of 2011. Very baffling. But I thank you for your patience and hope you visit the BB mother-ship, where you will also find my three free Costco recipes. It’s also where you can see an awesome Star of David Cake made in a nifty Bundt mold from the folks at www.Nordiware.com as well as a rich, elegant Kugelhoph, two special (free) recipes available at www.Clabbergirl.com in my column there.
My fourth cookbook, The Baker’s Four Seasons is closer to finding a new publishing home. So I hope you will stay tuned and stay patient.
For your holiday entertainment, I am recommending you try a free month of Netflix. Allot of amazing movies are hidden but if you are fond of off-beat, Indie films, the site has quite a few sleepers. I found a batch of perfect holiday-watching films like Arranged (a modern day Crossing Delancy), Adam (I will see anything with Hugh Dancy in it), Timer (about soulmates but with bar codes for romantic sure bets), Sabah (set in Toronto, about love and culture clash at midlife), The Band’s Visit, and food film classic: Mostly Martha. For your reading pleasure, an infinitely entertaining book from Leslie Daniels, called Cleaning Nabokov’s House http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_10?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=cleaning+nabokov%27s+house&sprefix=cleaning+n
It’s so unexpected and even when it turns in a direction I didn’t like, I couldn’t put it down. It’s also filled with food references including a young son who is an avid cookbook collector.
On this end, all is relatively quiet. Publishing more or less closes down around American Thanksgiving - and most writers, authors, editors, agents, and publishers focus on relaxing. Which is what I intend to do and I hope you do as well.
As per the holiday season, I get a bit reflective, even about old-fashioned baking. I used to think baking was special and soul-lifting (to me and my zealous baking friends) but I never thought of it as change-the-world-for-the-better sort of fare. But I now think that if you can keep yourself grounded in the kitchen, and peaceful in your heart as you bake and wrap and give away your oven's gold, it is indeed, uplifting. The wonderful success of great recipes, done right, is an afterglow that may in fact, shift the world in more ways than we know.
With warmest wishes for the holidays, your family and friends, and wishing you peace inside and out.
Master Baker, Author
December’s Recipes (if the recipes don't link, please visit www.betterbaking.com)
FREE Winterset Strudel
So pretty, especially when captured by photography Ryan Szulc of Toronto
FREE Costco Recipes by Marcy Goldman Costco Recipes
Star of David Bundt Cake and a Special Holiday Kugelhoph, please visit my column at www.Clabbergirl.com
Salted Peanut Shortbread
Talk about a Highland Fling – this is an incredible flavor combination.
$$$$ Millionaire Bars
Perfect for batch-making giftable squares
Golden Almond Holiday Stollen
I just think this makes the best gift or hospitality treat. It lasts well, serves up neat and pretty, and has a lovely almond pastry bouquet that is irresistible.
FREE Perfect Sugar Cookies For Rolling
It's what you need no matter what shape cookie you are rolling out.
Too Thin, Too Good Cranberry Almond Biscotti
The perfect gift biscotti (or mandelbrot) - and an office cookie-party winner.
Moravian Butter Thin Cookies
Like Pringles, but in delicate cookies
FREE Sweet Potato and Yukon Gold Potato Latkes
I have three outstanding latkes recipes on this site. Each is a winner. This is the newest addition to the latke family.
Hannukah's Best Melted Butter Rugulah
What’s Hanukkah with a best-ever Rugulah?
Maple Walnut Bagels
Tim Hortons (yes, them again) continue to inspire me. They have Wild Berry Bagels, Chipolte and these outrageous maple walnut bagels that feature well, maple and walnut but this priceless maple glaze, applied as they come out of the oven. A true heartwarming holiday bagel (for those lazy December weekend breakfasts).
Cinnamon Toast Cheesecake
Something sweet and cosy and perfect for holiday company.
FREE Perfect for Grilled Cheese Bread
Because sometimes you want something simple and fuss-free, especially after a ton of holiday food or too much shopping, online or off.
Previous Monthly Essays from A Note From Marcy:
Essays to tickle your funny bone, wake up your inner baker, twinge on your heartstrings, or make you smile and say, ‘I’ve know the feeling; I know the place”. If you missed an essay, or a season in baking or inner sensibility, we invite you to stroll through our archived Notes From Marcy.
- November 2014 A Note from Marcy - November 2014
- November 2014 A Note From Marcy - November 2014
- October A Note from Marcy - October 2014
- September A Note from Marcy - September 2014
- August 2014 A Note from Marcy - August 2014
- Hachette Vs Amazon, a Cookbook Author's response - August 2014
- July 2014 A Note from Marcy - July 2014
- June 2014 A Note from Marcy - June 2014
- May 2014 A Note from Marcy - May 2014
- April 2014 A Note from Marcy - April 2014
- March 2014 A Note from Marcy - March 2014
- FEBRUARY 2014 A Note from Marcy - February 2014
- BB SUBSCRIPTION SALE - February 2014
- January 2014 A Note from Marcy - January 2014
- December 2013 A Note from Marcy - December 2013
- November 2013 A Note from Marcy - November 2013
- October 2013 A Note from Marcy - October 2013
- September 2013 A Note from Marcy - September 2013
- August 2013 A Note from Marcy - August 2013
- July 2013 A Note from Marcy - July 2013
- June 2013 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - June 2013
- May 2013 A Note from Marcy - May 2013
- April 2013 A Note from Marcy Baker's Stash - April 2013
- March 2013 A Note from Marcy - March 2013
- February 2013 A Note from Marcy - February 2013
- January 2013 A Note from Marcy - January 2013
- December 2012 A Note from Marcy - December 2012
- November 2012 A Note from Marcy - November 2012
- October 2012 A Note from Marcy - October 2012
- September 2012 A Note from Marcy - September 2012
- August 2012 A Note from Marcy Baker's Stash - August 2012
- July 2012 A Note from Marcy Baker's Stash - July 2012
- TeamBuy.ca and BetterBaking.com Subscription Special! - June 2012
- May 2012 A Note from Marcy - May 2012
- April 2012 Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - April 2012
- March 2012 A Note From Marcy - March 2012
- February 2012 A Note from Marcy - February 2012
- January 2012 A Note from Marcy - January 2012
- November 2011 Note from Marcy Bakers Stash - November 2011
- October 2011 Note From Marcy Baker's Stash - October 2011
- September 2011 A Note from Marcy - September 2011
- August 2011 (1) Note From Marcy - August 2011
- June 2011 Note from Marcy - June 2011
- May 2011 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - May 2011
- March 2011 A Note From Marcy - March 2011
- February 2011 A Note From Marcy, Baker's Stash - February 2011
- January 2011 A Note from Marcy - January 2011
- December 2010 Baker's Stash - December 2010
- November 2010 Baker's Stash - November 2010
- October 2010 Note from Marcy & Baker's Stash - October 2010
- September 2010 Note from Marcy & Baker's Stash - September 2010
- August 2010 Baker's Stash - August 2010
- July 2010 Baker's Stash, A Note from Marcy - July 2010
- June 2010 Baker's Stash - June 2010
- April 2010 BAKER'S STASH - April 2010
- March 2010 Baker's Stash, A Note From Marcy - March 2010
- 2003-2007 PAST ISSUES Note from Marcy & Recipes - February 2010
- JANUARY 2010 BAKER'S STASH - January 2010
- December 2009 Baker's Stash - December 2009
- September 2009 Baker's Stash - September 2009
- April 2009 Bakers Stash - April 2009
- March 2009 Baker's Stash Baking With Mom, Feminist in the Kitchen and some Retro - March 2009
- February 2009 Baker's Recipe Stash - February 2009
- January 2009 Baker's Stash - January 2009
- December 2008 Baker's Stash - December 2008
- November 2008 A Note From Marcy - November 2008
- A note from Marcy - December 2007
- A Note from Marcy - February 2007 - An Oreo Love Affair
- A Note from Marcy - January 2007 - When Bakers Cook, Recipes deChef
- A Note from Marcy - December 2006 - Shortbread and Other Favorite Things
- A Note from Marcy - November 2006 - Thank Goodness for Pie
- A Note from Marcy - October 2006 - A Salute to Chocolate Chip Cookies
- A Note from Marcy - September 2006 - The Back to School Carrot Cake Issue
- A Note From Marcy - August 2006 - The Sourdough Magic Issue
- A Note from Marcy - July 2006 - The Annual BB Picnic Issue
- A Note from Marcy - June 2006 - The Bountiful Berry Issue
- A Note from Marcy - May 2006 - Pride and Pastry or Tea With Jane
- A Note from Marcy - April 2006 - The Breakfast Baking Issue and Fresh Starts
- A Note from Marcy March 2006 Passion - Gettin' Some - March 2006 - Havana A Heat Wave, Baking with A Latin Beat and The Passion Play
- A Note from Marcy - February 2006 - Memoirs of A Geisha Baking, Valentineâ€™s Sweets
- A Note from Marcy - January 2006 - The You're Toast, A Salute To Slicing Loaves and More
- A Note from Marcy - December 2005 - Bake It Forward, Gift Baking Issue
- A Note from Marcy - November 2005 - Open Hearth Hosting or Guess Who's Coming For Dinner
- A Note from Marcy - October 2005 - It All Happens for a Reason or Sometimes Bread Just Doesn't Rise.....
- A Note from Marcy - September 2005 - Baking By the Code
- A Note from Marcy - August 2005 - The Tao of Pie
- A Note from Marcy - July 2005 - The Journey of the Journal plus Twix Bars!
- A Note from Marcy - June 2005 - A Pastry Chefs Trial by Cheesecakes
- A Note from Marcy - May 2005 - The Frontier Baking Issue/Living Big in a Small Venue
- A Note from Marcy - April 2005 - When Harry Met Salad
- A Note from Marcy - March 2005 - Baking with an Irish Broque; A Romance in the Dairy Queen One Fine March
- A Note from Marcy - February 2005 - She Just Doesnâ€™t Get Him, Valentineâ€™s Day Rebuttal and Cupcakes Galore
- A Note from Marcy - January 2005 - The Art of Changing and Making Space in a New Year
- A Note from Marcy - December 2004 - The Shall We Dance or Shall We Bake, Holiday Baking Issue and an Ode to Dance
- A Note from Marcy - November 2004 - The Bread and Soup Issue and How A Canadian Became Americanized (sort of)
- A Note from Marcy - October 2004 - The Field of Dreams Issue, Baseball and the Baker
- A Note from Marcy - September 2004 - The Catcher of the Rye Issue, What Falls Away, the Sweet Taste of Forgiveness and Letting Go
- A Note from Marcy - August 2004 - Itâ€™s All Greek To Me Issue and The Evils of Multi-Tasking
- A Note from Marcy - July 2004 - The Gone Fishinâ€™ Issue/Summer in the River City, A Bakerâ€™s Musical
- A Note from Marcy - June 2004 - The All That Jazz Issue, How To Scat and Improvise in Wheat
- A Note from Marcy - May 2004 - The Bread and Roses Issue, Goddess, Feminist or Feminineâ€¦and Fudge
- A Note from Marcy - April 2004 - Waiting for Happy, or If I Won the Lotto
- A Note from Marcy - March 2004 - Meet You in the Bookstore, My Love Affair with Books
- A Note from Marcy - February 2004 - Sweets for the Sweet, a Valentine From the Baker
- A Note from Marcy - January 2004 - How To Eat Right or Resolution 2004 â€“ How Not To Diet
- A Note From Marcy - December 2003 - The Sugar and Spice Issue
- A Note from Marcy - November 2003 - How To Weather the Weather, or Keeping Cozy in Late Fall
- A Note from Marcy - October 2003 (Part 2) - They Laughed When I Got Up To Bake, Hotel School Trials
- A Note from Marcy - October 2003 (Part 1) - How I Got Into Baking, A Bakerâ€™s Beginnings Part 1
- A Note from Marcy - September 2003 - Welcome To Wheatland, a bakerâ€™s fantasy or Camelot in Flour
- A Note from Marcy - August 2003 - Notes on Homemade Krispie Kreme Doughnuts
- A Note From Marcy - July 2003 - Memories of Summer Music Camp or Baking to Birdland
- A Note From Marcy - June 2003 - How to Play Hooky in Summer, An Urban Adventure
- October 2008 Baker's Stash
- May 2010 Baker's Stash
- February 2009 Issue Baking by Heart Copy
- March 2009 Baker's Recipe Stash
- April 2009 Baker's Stash
- September 2008 Baker's Stash
- February 2009 Baker's Stash
- The Baker's Four Seasons by Marcy Goldman
- Free Bonus Cronut Recipe!
- April 2011 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash