December 2015 A Note from Marcy
December 2015 A Note from Marcy
Free Hanukkah Gelt Double Fudge Chocolate Layer Cake and so much more in the December 2015 A Note from Marcy. Plus BB's 1st ever Hanukkah Cookie Collection.
Dear Friends and Fellow Bakers,
Welcome to the final month of the year and most cookie-stocked issue of Betterbaking.com.
First things first – yes, the 2-for-1 Black Friday BB Subscriptions is still available. Simply sign up the usually Subscriber Page way but let us know the name of the gift recipient (name and email) and we’ll do the rest.
My Kindle Cookbooks on Sale! Tomorrow (December 2nd), three of my cookbooks (and poetry book) in digital form will be on sale for up to 67% off (but the first day of the sale is when the books are the best deal). The trio of books includes A Passion for Baking, When Bakers Cook (with a fabulous baker’s bonus chapter), The Baker’s Four Seasons. A Treasury of Jewish Holiday Baking makes a fabulous holiday gift (it’s Hanukkah time) and as always, any book purchase comes with 4 months Free BB Subscription (to all recipes).
Now back to our regular programming…..
For years, I’ve wanted to do an Eight Days of Hanukkah Cookie book but never had a chance to. This year however, I did manage to put together eight of my favorite Hanukkah treats for the eight days of Hanukkah. I still had more recipes to include but the concept was eight nights, eight recipes. It’s similar to the 12 days of Holiday Cookies so many sites, such as Food Network does. I’ve included many freebies this month but the Hanukkah Eight Days of Cookies Collection is a Maccabean feast that is sure to please. Just do one recipe each day – on the eighth day, vote on your favorites and let me know. Next year, I’ll find eight more.
For regular holiday baking, I’ve also included some other special treats that are all my favorites. Left to my own devices however, I would make truckloads of rugulah and shortbread throughout the holidays, which I plan to do as gifts for family and friends.
Other than the recipes at hand, some amazing product gift ideas are on the way later this week.
This issue marks my 18th Holiday Issue of BB which is a landmark of sorts. Baking (among other things)for me, remains a fascinating passion that, as an interest as well as occupation, has soulmate qualities to it. But baking is really most fun if you share it – which is what I try and do through recipes. I am heart-warmed to think of the joy and pleasure you in turn, spread around as you bake my recipes and your own.
Maybe it's the sugar, butter, but I think baking softens the world. Food breaks down boundaries. It’s so much more powerful than just being about nourishment. Not to go too new age-y on you but let me just share that these days, I make a prayer over the bowl or the batter or the pan as it goes into the oven. I take a mindful breath, count my blessings and send a prayer of peace in each thing I make and serve. A great holiday cookie may not be as wholesome as a batch of Kale Quinoa Mushroom Barley Soup but baking is incredible, vital memory food. A bite of shortbread or a Bavarian Sugar Cookie or a quintessential rugulah is another way of telling a stranger in your home or newcomer to your country: you are welcome here or let me offer you a taste of home even though you are far away from wherever you call home. Everyone argues about what good taste is all about; but in food, the intention, i.e. to nourish and uplift body and soul has good will written all over it. No dispute of 'good taste' there.
Happy holidays, peace and bon appetite. And as always, happy baking,
Author, Master Baker
FREE!!! Honey BBQ Brisket
Mouth-watering brisket that will make you want to lick the roasting pan. Great hot or cold, in a Ruben style sandwich.
FREE New Way Famous Potato Latkes Over 19, 751 downloads
From the bonus chapter in the new Whitecap edition of A Treasury of Jewish Holiday Baking, my world famous potato latkes. Can you improve on tradition? Yes!
FREE! Hanukkah Chocolate Cream Cheese Cake
A luscious "tunnel" of cream cheese and chocolate chips makes this cake a winner with kids and adults alike. Coffee for this cake can go the way of mellow or bold. This is a lovely Hanukkah cake-and-coffee entertaining cake. It keeps well enough to last 8 nights but don't count on that happening!
FREE Gift Giving Maple Vanilla Granola
The name says it all. Pack in Mason Jars and dole out the goodness.
French Rum Pound Cake
Here is a delightful and sophisticated little rum and fruit pound cake that is one of my favorites. It is festive, buttery, moist and flavor-infused.
Biscoff or Speculoos Cookies
Of Dutch origin, these gently caramel and spice cookies are a cross between shortbread and butter cookies. You can find the ingredient Speculoos (aka Biscoff or simply, cookie spread) spread via Amazon, European shops or Trader Joe’s. It spreads like Nutella and tastes like ground up spice cookies. These amazing cookies are so holiday-ish yet unique. (unless you’re Dutch)
French Chocolate Mint Biscotti
A French mint chocolate bar in a biscotti rendition. A slick of melted white chocolate makes these holiday festive. Minced up peppermint patties in the dough add to the glamor.
FREE! Gourmet Shop Panettone
A brioche, rich bread, studded with fruit, nuts and chocolate. An Italian tradition, feel free to leave out nuts or fruits or just add those that appeal. The main thing it to produce a golden, sweet, eggy bread to break off in hunks with espresso, during many wonderful holiday mornings.
Eight Days of Hanukkah Cookies and Sweet Treats
Marcy Goldman's BB's First Annual Hanukkah Cookie Book
Classic Hanukkah Sugar Cut Out Cookies
What's holiday baking without cookies and kids around, that is, if you provide those eager bakers with a big batch of their own cookie dough and cutters. This buttery sugar cookie dough is "kid proof": strong but tender of crumb, this is the dough I prepare for my own crew of young bakers and their friends. If you require a dairy-free cookie, you can make the recipe using shortening. The Rycraft Ceramic Cookie Stamps company makes both a Menorah and a Star of David cookie embosser that's perfect on these cookies.
A bread machine will save your buns here but this is a simple sweet dough anyone can whip up. Schnecken is usually filled with cinnamon and sugar but these are extra special, made with Swiss chocolate and a gorgeous buttery dough.
Nutella Chocolate Cream Cheese Rugulah Nutella Rugulah
Decadent tradition that will satisfy both rugulah and Nutella addicts
Hanukkah Jelly Doughnuts Over 9250 Downloads
Puffy, golden doughnuts that can be filled with jam, jelly or custard – the consummate Hanukkah treat.
FREE Ultra Thin Almond Mandelbrot (Biscotti)
This is one of those exceptionally thin biscotti or Mandelbrot. Make it with oil – it’s Mandelbrot for Hanukkah. Make it with melted butter and you have gourmet biscotti. It is micro-thin and one of those ‘private file recipes’ and a great gift recipe
Grandma's Rolly Poly Dough
If you were lucky enough to grow up with a Russian-born grandmother nearby, you no doubt are familiar with this somewhat unusual and delectable cookie-like strudel. Made with a lightly orange-scented, cookie-like dough, this strudel-like cookie keeps for weeks in the freezer and also improves, day after day just wrapped on a counter. Vintage recipes call for Turkish Delight but as I am not a fan of Oil of Bergamot (which is in Turkish delight or Rose Water), I most often substitute Gummy Bears for the sweet, chewy filling. This is as old-fashioned, delicious a recipe as you will ever find. It tastes like a hug.
Grandma's Rolly Poly Dough
These make the fanciest, most delightful pastry-like cookies in the shortest time ever. Coarse sugar, a key ingredient for this recipe, is available at bulk food stores, cake decorating stores, mail order or from your neighborhood baker. When coarse sugar is used, the result is slightly flakey pastry-like cookies with caramelized bottoms. But these cookies would also work with regular sugar but use a little less.
Bakery Style Poppy Seed Cookies
When you think of a great, crisp poppy seed cookie, with a grandmother's taste but a bakery' style crunch, this is the recipe. For Hanukkah, cut these in 6-point Star of David or any other holiday shape. You can dust with blue sugar instead of white for holiday flair.
My Cookbooks! Print or Ebooks - any book purchase garners you 4-months Bonus of BB Recipe Acccess.
My newest cookbook on Amazon and Kindle
Don't forget - any cookbook purchase gets you a bonus of 4 months of BB Recipe Access (just send in the e-receipt)
Unsubscribe from Newsletter
Previous Issues, Note From Marcy/Baker's Stash
Previous Monthly Essays from A Note From Marcy:
Essays to tickle your funny bone, wake up your inner baker, twinge on your heartstrings, or make you smile and say, ‘I’ve know the feeling; I know the place”. If you missed an essay, or a season in baking or inner sensibility, we invite you to stroll through our archived Notes From Marcy.
- March 2017 A Note from Marcy - March 2017
- March 2017 A Note from Marcy - March 2017
- February A Note from Marcy - February 2017
- January 2017 A Note from Marcy - January 2017
- December 2016 A Note from Marcy - December 2016
- Winter 2016 BB Best Gifts Round-Up - December 2016
- November 2016 A Note from Marcy - November 2016
- October 2016 A Note from Marcy - October 2016
- September 2016 A Note from Marcy - September 2016
- August 2016 A Note from Marcy - August 2016
- July 2016 A Note from Marcy - June 2016
- June 2016 A Note from Marcy - June 2016
- MAY 2016 A Note from Marcy - May 2016
- April 2016 A Note from Marcy - April 2016
- March 2016 A Note from Marcy - March 2016
- February 2016 A Note from Marcy - February 2016
- January 2016 A Note from Marcy - January 2016
- November 2015 A Note from Marcy - November 2015
- September 2015 A Note from Marcy - September 2015
- August 2015 A Note from Marcy - August 2015
- July 2015 A Note from Marcy - July 2015
- June 2015 A Note from Marcy - June 2015
- May 2015 A Note from Marcy - May 2015
- April 2015 A Note from Marcy - April 2015
- March 2015 A Note from Marcy - March 2015
- February 2015 A Note from Marcy - February 2015
- January 2015 A Note from Marcy - January 2015
- December 2014 A Note from Marcy - December 2014
- November 2014 A Note From Marcy - November 2014
- October A Note from Marcy - October 2014
- September 2014 A Note from Marcy - September 2014
- August 2014 A Note from Marcy - August 2014
- July 2014 A Note from Marcy - July 2014
- June 2014 A Note from Marcy - June 2014
- May 2014 A Note from Marcy - May 2014
- April 2014 A Note from Marcy - April 2014
- March 2014 A Note from Marcy - March 2014
- February 2014 A Note from Marcy - February 2014
- January 2014 A Note from Marcy - January 2014
- December 2013 A Note from Marcy - December 2013
- November 2013 A Note from Marcy - November 2013
- October 2013 A Note from Marcy - October 2013
- September 2013 A Note from Marcy - September 2013
- August 2013 A Note from Marcy - August 2013
- July 2013 A Note from Marcy - July 2013
- June 2013 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - June 2013
- May 2013 A Note from Marcy - May 2013
- April 2013 A Note from Marcy Baker's Stash - April 2013
- March 2013 A Note from Marcy - March 2013
- February 2013 A Note from Marcy - February 2013
- January 2013 A Note from Marcy - January 2013
- December 2012 A Note from Marcy - December 2012
- November 2012 A Note from Marcy - November 2012
- October 2012 A Note from Marcy - October 2012
- September 2012 A Note from Marcy - September 2012
- August 2012 A Note from Marcy Baker's Stash - August 2012
- July 2012 A Note from Marcy Baker's Stash - July 2012
- May 2012 A Note from Marcy - May 2012
- April 2012 Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - April 2012
- March 2012 A Note From Marcy - March 2012
- February 2012 A Note from Marcy - February 2012
- January 2012 A Note from Marcy - January 2012
- December 2011 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - December 2011
- November 2011 Note from Marcy Bakers Stash - November 2011
- October 2011 Note From Marcy Baker's Stash - October 2011
- September 2011 A Note from Marcy - September 2011
- August 2011 (1) Note From Marcy - August 2011
- June 2011 Note from Marcy - June 2011
- May 2011 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - May 2011
- March 2011 A Note From Marcy - March 2011
- February 2011 A Note From Marcy, Baker's Stash - February 2011
- January 2011 A Note from Marcy - January 2011
- December 2010 Baker's Stash - December 2010
- November 2010 Baker's Stash - November 2010
- October 2010 Note from Marcy & Baker's Stash - October 2010
- September 2010 Note from Marcy & Baker's Stash - September 2010
- August 2010 Baker's Stash - August 2010
- July 2010 Baker's Stash, A Note from Marcy - July 2010
- June 2010 Baker's Stash - June 2010
- April 2010 BAKER'S STASH - April 2010
- March 2010 Baker's Stash, A Note From Marcy - March 2010
- 2003-2007 PAST ISSUES Note from Marcy & Recipes - February 2010
- January 2010 Baker's Stash - January 2010
- December 2009 Baker's Stash - December 2009
- September 2009 Baker's Stash - September 2009
- April 2009 Bakers Stash - April 2009
- March 2009 Baker's Stash Baking With Mom, Feminist in the Kitchen and some Retro - March 2009
- February 2009 Baker's Recipe Stash - February 2009
- January 2009 Baker's Stash - January 2009
- December 2008 Baker's Stash - December 2008
- November 2008 A Note From Marcy - November 2008
- September 2008 Baker's Stash - September 2008
- A note from Marcy - December 2007
- A Note from Marcy - February 2007 - An Oreo Love Affair
- A Note from Marcy - January 2007 - When Bakers Cook, Recipes deChef
- A Note from Marcy - December 2006 - Shortbread and Other Favorite Things
- A Note from Marcy - November 2006 - Thank Goodness for Pie
- A Note from Marcy - October 2006 - A Salute to Chocolate Chip Cookies
- A Note from Marcy - September 2006 - The Back to School Carrot Cake Issue
- A Note From Marcy - August 2006 - The Sourdough Magic Issue
- A Note from Marcy - July 2006 - The Annual BB Picnic Issue
- A Note from Marcy - June 2006 - The Bountiful Berry Issue
- A Note from Marcy - May 2006 - Pride and Pastry or Tea With Jane
- A Note from Marcy - April 2006 - The Breakfast Baking Issue and Fresh Starts
- A Note from Marcy March 2006 Passion - Gettin' Some - March 2006 - Havana A Heat Wave, Baking with A Latin Beat and The Passion Play
- A Note from Marcy - February 2006 - Memoirs of A Geisha Baking, Valentineâ€™s Sweets
- A Note from Marcy - January 2006 - The You're Toast, A Salute To Slicing Loaves and More
- A Note from Marcy - December 2005 - Bake It Forward, Gift Baking Issue
- A Note from Marcy - November 2005 - Open Hearth Hosting or Guess Who's Coming For Dinner
- A Note from Marcy - October 2005 - It All Happens for a Reason or Sometimes Bread Just Doesn't Rise.....
- A Note from Marcy - September 2005 - Baking By the Code
- A Note from Marcy - August 2005 - The Tao of Pie
- A Note from Marcy - July 2005 - The Journey of the Journal plus Twix Bars!
- A Note from Marcy - June 2005 - A Pastry Chefs Trial by Cheesecakes
- A Note from Marcy - May 2005 - The Frontier Baking Issue/Living Big in a Small Venue
- A Note from Marcy - April 2005 - When Harry Met Salad
- A Note from Marcy - March 2005 - Baking with an Irish Broque; A Romance in the Dairy Queen One Fine March
- A Note from Marcy - February 2005 - She Just Doesnâ€™t Get Him, Valentineâ€™s Day Rebuttal and Cupcakes Galore
- A Note from Marcy - January 2005 - The Art of Changing and Making Space in a New Year
- A Note from Marcy - December 2004 - The Shall We Dance or Shall We Bake, Holiday Baking Issue and an Ode to Dance
- A Note from Marcy - November 2004 - The Bread and Soup Issue and How A Canadian Became Americanized (sort of)
- A Note from Marcy - October 2004 - The Field of Dreams Issue, Baseball and the Baker
- A Note from Marcy - September 2004 - The Catcher of the Rye Issue, What Falls Away, the Sweet Taste of Forgiveness and Letting Go
- A Note from Marcy - August 2004 - Itâ€™s All Greek To Me Issue and The Evils of Multi-Tasking
- A Note from Marcy - July 2004 - The Gone Fishinâ€™ Issue/Summer in the River City, A Bakerâ€™s Musical
- A Note from Marcy - June 2004 - The All That Jazz Issue, How To Scat and Improvise in Wheat
- A Note from Marcy - May 2004 - The Bread and Roses Issue, Goddess, Feminist or Feminineâ€¦and Fudge
- A Note from Marcy - April 2004 - Waiting for Happy, or If I Won the Lotto
- A Note from Marcy - March 2004 - Meet You in the Bookstore, My Love Affair with Books
- A Note from Marcy - February 2004 - Sweets for the Sweet, a Valentine From the Baker
- A Note from Marcy - January 2004 - How To Eat Right or Resolution 2004 â€“ How Not To Diet
- A Note From Marcy - December 2003 - The Sugar and Spice Issue
- A Note from Marcy - November 2003 - How To Weather the Weather, or Keeping Cozy in Late Fall
- A Note from Marcy - October 2003 (Part 2) - They Laughed When I Got Up To Bake, Hotel School Trials
- A Note from Marcy - October 2003 (Part 1) - How I Got Into Baking, A Bakerâ€™s Beginnings Part 1
- A Note from Marcy - September 2003 - Welcome To Wheatland, a bakerâ€™s fantasy or Camelot in Flour
- A Note from Marcy - August 2003 - Notes on Homemade Krispie Kreme Doughnuts
- A Note From Marcy - July 2003 - Memories of Summer Music Camp or Baking to Birdland
- A Note From Marcy - June 2003 - How to Play Hooky in Summer, An Urban Adventure
- April 2011 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash
- October 2008 Baker's Stash
- May 2010 Baker's Stash
- February 2009 Issue Baking by Heart Copy
- March 2009 Baker's Recipe Stash
- April 2009 Baker's Stash
- February 2009 Baker's Stash