January 2017 A Note from Marcy
January 2017 A Note from Marcy
Dear Friends and Fellow Bakers,
You are receiving this email because at some point you signed up for our free monthly newsletter. In compliance with Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation, BetterBaking is required to inform anyone that has or will receive emails from BB to give me consent to do so.
Many of you have already provided “implied consent” by signing up in the first place, but if you no longer wish to receive the free BB monthly newsletter, please click the “Unsubscribe” below. Otherwise, consider your subscription confirmed and stay tuned for more delectable recipes each month!
Author, Master Baker
This email was sent by www.Betterbaking.com
1802 Alexis Nihon
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
<a href=mailto:email@example.com?Subject=UnsubscribefromNewsletter>Please remove me from this newsletter subscription list</a>
Dear Bakers and Friends,
I am delighted to share the January 2017 (or end of 2016) BB newsletter with you a bit early since it is a holiday weekend upon us. As I look ahead to 2017, all I can think of is old-fashioned baking. There were years I couldn't wait to make another decadent crazy dessert to beguile you with and now, I'm for rustic breads, breakfast rolls, fresh bagels, and cookies. It's also the tonic for holiday feasting. Come Valentine's Day, I'll recant.
I won’t go into what a (bad) year 2016 most people are saying it was since despite the news of the day, 2016 has been, for me, a pretty good year. I began running again, upped my meditation practise, published a new cookbook and am most honored to have been named one of Medium.com’s top 10% of writers (that people read). That's astounding and I owe so much of that to you. I come with an entourage, i.e. you: my baking friends – who seem to support me in all I do. If you need a cheer-leader, I hope I can return the favor. For me, most of 2016 was a year that was filled with bliss, gratitude and overall well-being. In the wake of those positive moods, I have an unrivaled, fresh focus and commitment as both a writer and a baker.
My new site, www.MarcyGoldman.com is still being worked on but that too, will have its debut. (I will keep this site as well). That said, please forgive the glitches in the newsletter - it's utterly beyond my control or expertise but I trust you'll get your recipes safe and sound.
Food Trends 2016-2017 aka Just Put an Egg On It
But onto food: what are the food trends of the hour? Well, some things from 2016 made their way to 2016 and into 2017 – things like bowl food (and Poke Bowls), more kale, pulses and grains. Non vegetarians are enjoying vegetarian food and more nuts (and berries) are making their way into the baking. Avocados have all but replaced coconut as the fat of the moment and Sriracha Hot Sauce and all manner of exotic (to us) spice rules the day – from Japanese horseradish, to bespoke cinnamon and organic turmeric for your Turmeric Latte. Middle Eastern cuisine is still at the helm along with fusion Asian, Korean, Syrian, and both West and North African. Fermented foods (kim chi, kombucha and good old pickles but small batch, artisanal kosher dills) are dwindling but there's an emergence of smoked foods as well as mead, kombucha’s honey-ed understudy now making waves. Flavored sodas and seltzers will rule (as well they should), pour-over coffee, K-cups and Japanese green tea.
Pink salt has been upstaged by Baharat (cumin, pepper, nutmeg and more) or my preferred spice mix, Doah, which I make at home and sprinkle on everything but especially on top of libanais (yogurt cheese that spreads like cream cheese) on pita or bagels. (My recipe for it, aka Doah Spice is below).
Speaking of spice, flavored, homemade popcorn will be quite at home in 2017 so get a batch ready for Oscar time. Sprinkle your popcorn with cheese powder, herbs, spices or hot sauce or garam masala.
When it comes to spice – please open your palate to new ones and new suppliers. Paprika alone can be an adventure – so buy small amounts of spice anywhere you can find it and by all means, be as fussy as you can. Become a spice connoisseur. You are the master of your domain so exercise some mastery in your spice choices.
Gloppy poached eggs on everything will continue so expect to see that everywhere but on top of apple pie or omelette (where it would be redundant). Homemade breakfast sandwiches (thanks to the expense and dubious nutrition of drive-thru ones) are on the rise.
On the sweet front, caramel rules although salted caramel is on the wane; M&M is debuted White Chocolate Cheesecake M&M’s (in May 2017, watch out for Caramel M&M’s), there’s desserts in a Mason jar (Red Velvet Cake, Carrot Cake) and I think butter-based French classics like Bretagne Butter Cookies and Kouig Aman (aka Cruffins) will grow in popularity. Funky ice-cream flavors in funkier cones (waffles, pancakes, croissants) will blossom by spring, Fried Oreos, mini-cakes in shot glasses, sprinkles (on cakes, in milkshakes and stuffed into croissants).
In my own sweet world view, I predict a cinnamon bun revival, banana pudding and chocolate cream pie (things are tough: we want comfort foods) and an extension of cereal-based desserts. Wholesome, old-fashioned white breads will have their day along with all types of bagels and grilled cheese sandwiches. Scones will have a slight come back but more so in the savory scone venue. Great toast with artisanal or imported butters will find their way to tea and snack time along with (let’s hope) English Muffins, Crumpets and Biscuits. (I capitalize those things to indicate to you their importance to me as a baker). I also think burgers, pan-fried steak, more deli food and diner style tuna sandwiches will nudge out all things Paleo or Paltrow. Count on old-fashioned raisins to make a comeback (move over dried cranberries) and dried mango to earn a blue ribbon (does anything taste better unless it's mango with Nutella spread on it).
Perfume, Music, Lipstick - the Girl Stuff
On the cultural side of things, I am reading memoirs galore, (download a Kindle sample of anything, read and then decide what to borrow from your library or purchase), listening to the soundtrack of LaLa Land via Spotify (which to me is one of the easiest, free music platforms going).
As for perfumes, sugary vanilla perfumes are so 2015 and cooler florals are sneaking in or florals with vanilla. La Vie Est Belle can still turn heads. Green Tea, Orange Blossom, Leather and Spirits (cognac and brandy scented perfumes) are the fragrance notes to be aware of, as well as musk and sandalwood and accept it. Unisex scents are now in vogue so if you want to smell like a girl, head for classic brands. Otherwise go rogue and Tom Fords line or try Stash (which is earthy and sweaty) from Sara Jessica Parker. I am also simply using essential oils (Jasmine, Clementine) for perfumes and in the air as fresh home scent. Celebrity scents are scant right now (no loss there) and even the major perfume houses are trying to create scents that really do smell different on everyone; artisanal, natural perfumers are getting their due and perfecting their craft.
Above all - it's a new year and a new you. So please consider a new scent. Holding onto signature scents (Martha Stewart still wears Fracas, apparently) is understandable but when it comes to perfume, your 'good old scent' can easily make you smell like your grandmother or eldest kid's kindergarten teacher, circa 1986 - all powdery and dark spice. I don't dispute the craftsmanship of an iconic perfume or your 'scent' but what was new in 1986 can smell just old and tired in 2017. Plus a new scent ups your mood and attitude like nothing else. For the men in your life, consider a subscription to Harry's Shave Club, Daily Shave Club or invest ($10 on Ebay) in a classic Kent comb as a impromptu gift.
In make-up, Vitamin C Serum (trust me on this one) is the radiant-face-maker (tons of brands on Amazon) and a great red lipstick (Lancôme works for me) will boost your spirits in January like nothing else, save a new pair of Lululemon yoga pants. Burt's Bees has a new line or healthy, tinted lip balms and hard-milled soaps (try TJ Max, Winner's Home Sense, L'Occitane, Body Shop or a healthfood store) are 'in' so put the soap pump away unless it's something wonderfully organic and real.
In publishing news!
Best Holiday Cookie Book!
On another (random) notes, here’s the Table of Contents for my new cookie book (long story but the book online can’t show a preview). The link to purchase is here : https://aerbook.com/books/BEST_HOLIDAY_COOKIES-20882.html or you can purchase through Amazon/Kindle.
The Baker’s Dozen Holiday Cookie Cookbook
Baker’s Dozen Series Vol. 1
Best Ever Scottish Shortbread
Pumpkin Pie Biscotti
Nutella Filled Cookies
White Chocolate Cherry Cranberry Cookies
Chocolate Velvet Cookies
Brown Sugar and Maple Shortbread
Raspberry Cream Cheese Filled Crescents
Ginger Crisp Cookies
Argentinian Dulce de Leche Cookies
French Mint Cookies
Hanukkah Ice-Cream Dough Rugulah
BetterBaking.com Bonus 4 Months Free with Book Purchase!
This new Baker's Dozen Cookbook series is the best way I could dream up to offer new recipes for you in e-book form. Once there are 13 books, I'll put it into print but for now, I plan to release one new book (Biscotti is next) every quarter year.
Phew! I think I got it all said.
Without further ado, warm wishes for a brand new year, wishing you love, health, and happiness (and no shortage of dreams) for 2017.
Author, Master Baker
Recipe Collection for January 2017
Sweet Potato, Kale and Black Bean Quinoa Burgers
Detox White Tea
Sweet Paprika Smokey Bean Soup or Bableves
Vanilla Challah Rolls
FREE Gilmore Girls Buttermilk Blueberry Pancakes
FREE Old-Fashioned Crumpets
Previous Monthly Essays from A Note From Marcy:
Essays to tickle your funny bone, wake up your inner baker, twinge on your heartstrings, or make you smile and say, ‘I’ve know the feeling; I know the place”. If you missed an essay, or a season in baking or inner sensibility, we invite you to stroll through our archived Notes From Marcy.
- March 2017 A Note from Marcy - March 2017
- March 2017 A Note from Marcy - March 2017
- February A Note from Marcy - February 2017
- Winter 2016 BB Best Gifts Round-Up - December 2016
- December 2016 A Note from Marcy - December 2016
- November 2016 A Note from Marcy - November 2016
- October 2016 A Note from Marcy - October 2016
- September 2016 A Note from Marcy - September 2016
- August 2016 A Note from Marcy - August 2016
- June 2016 A Note from Marcy - June 2016
- July 2016 A Note from Marcy - June 2016
- MAY 2016 A Note from Marcy - May 2016
- April 2016 A Note from Marcy - April 2016
- March 2016 A Note from Marcy - March 2016
- February 2016 A Note from Marcy - February 2016
- January 2016 A Note from Marcy - January 2016
- December 2015 A Note from Marcy - December 2015
- November 2015 A Note from Marcy - November 2015
- September 2015 A Note from Marcy - September 2015
- August 2015 A Note from Marcy - August 2015
- July 2015 A Note from Marcy - July 2015
- June 2015 A Note from Marcy - June 2015
- May 2015 A Note from Marcy - May 2015
- April 2015 A Note from Marcy - April 2015
- March 2015 A Note from Marcy - March 2015
- February 2015 A Note from Marcy - February 2015
- January 2015 A Note from Marcy - January 2015
- December 2014 A Note from Marcy - December 2014
- November 2014 A Note From Marcy - November 2014
- October A Note from Marcy - October 2014
- September 2014 A Note from Marcy - September 2014
- August 2014 A Note from Marcy - August 2014
- July 2014 A Note from Marcy - July 2014
- June 2014 A Note from Marcy - June 2014
- May 2014 A Note from Marcy - May 2014
- April 2014 A Note from Marcy - April 2014
- March 2014 A Note from Marcy - March 2014
- February 2014 A Note from Marcy - February 2014
- January 2014 A Note from Marcy - January 2014
- December 2013 A Note from Marcy - December 2013
- November 2013 A Note from Marcy - November 2013
- October 2013 A Note from Marcy - October 2013
- September 2013 A Note from Marcy - September 2013
- August 2013 A Note from Marcy - August 2013
- July 2013 A Note from Marcy - July 2013
- June 2013 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - June 2013
- May 2013 A Note from Marcy - May 2013
- April 2013 A Note from Marcy Baker's Stash - April 2013
- March 2013 A Note from Marcy - March 2013
- February 2013 A Note from Marcy - February 2013
- January 2013 A Note from Marcy - January 2013
- December 2012 A Note from Marcy - December 2012
- November 2012 A Note from Marcy - November 2012
- October 2012 A Note from Marcy - October 2012
- September 2012 A Note from Marcy - September 2012
- August 2012 A Note from Marcy Baker's Stash - August 2012
- July 2012 A Note from Marcy Baker's Stash - July 2012
- May 2012 A Note from Marcy - May 2012
- April 2012 Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - April 2012
- March 2012 A Note From Marcy - March 2012
- February 2012 A Note from Marcy - February 2012
- January 2012 A Note from Marcy - January 2012
- December 2011 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - December 2011
- November 2011 Note from Marcy Bakers Stash - November 2011
- October 2011 Note From Marcy Baker's Stash - October 2011
- September 2011 A Note from Marcy - September 2011
- August 2011 (1) Note From Marcy - August 2011
- June 2011 Note from Marcy - June 2011
- May 2011 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - May 2011
- March 2011 A Note From Marcy - March 2011
- February 2011 A Note From Marcy, Baker's Stash - February 2011
- January 2011 A Note from Marcy - January 2011
- December 2010 Baker's Stash - December 2010
- November 2010 Baker's Stash - November 2010
- October 2010 Note from Marcy & Baker's Stash - October 2010
- September 2010 Note from Marcy & Baker's Stash - September 2010
- August 2010 Baker's Stash - August 2010
- July 2010 Baker's Stash, A Note from Marcy - July 2010
- June 2010 Baker's Stash - June 2010
- April 2010 BAKER'S STASH - April 2010
- March 2010 Baker's Stash, A Note From Marcy - March 2010
- 2003-2007 PAST ISSUES Note from Marcy & Recipes - February 2010
- January 2010 Baker's Stash - January 2010
- December 2009 Baker's Stash - December 2009
- September 2009 Baker's Stash - September 2009
- April 2009 Bakers Stash - April 2009
- March 2009 Baker's Stash Baking With Mom, Feminist in the Kitchen and some Retro - March 2009
- February 2009 Baker's Recipe Stash - February 2009
- January 2009 Baker's Stash - January 2009
- December 2008 Baker's Stash - December 2008
- November 2008 A Note From Marcy - November 2008
- September 2008 Baker's Stash - September 2008
- A note from Marcy - December 2007
- A Note from Marcy - February 2007 - An Oreo Love Affair
- A Note from Marcy - January 2007 - When Bakers Cook, Recipes deChef
- A Note from Marcy - December 2006 - Shortbread and Other Favorite Things
- A Note from Marcy - November 2006 - Thank Goodness for Pie
- A Note from Marcy - October 2006 - A Salute to Chocolate Chip Cookies
- A Note from Marcy - September 2006 - The Back to School Carrot Cake Issue
- A Note From Marcy - August 2006 - The Sourdough Magic Issue
- A Note from Marcy - July 2006 - The Annual BB Picnic Issue
- A Note from Marcy - June 2006 - The Bountiful Berry Issue
- A Note from Marcy - May 2006 - Pride and Pastry or Tea With Jane
- A Note from Marcy - April 2006 - The Breakfast Baking Issue and Fresh Starts
- A Note from Marcy March 2006 Passion - Gettin' Some - March 2006 - Havana A Heat Wave, Baking with A Latin Beat and The Passion Play
- A Note from Marcy - February 2006 - Memoirs of A Geisha Baking, Valentineâ€™s Sweets
- A Note from Marcy - January 2006 - The You're Toast, A Salute To Slicing Loaves and More
- A Note from Marcy - December 2005 - Bake It Forward, Gift Baking Issue
- A Note from Marcy - November 2005 - Open Hearth Hosting or Guess Who's Coming For Dinner
- A Note from Marcy - October 2005 - It All Happens for a Reason or Sometimes Bread Just Doesn't Rise.....
- A Note from Marcy - September 2005 - Baking By the Code
- A Note from Marcy - August 2005 - The Tao of Pie
- A Note from Marcy - July 2005 - The Journey of the Journal plus Twix Bars!
- A Note from Marcy - June 2005 - A Pastry Chefs Trial by Cheesecakes
- A Note from Marcy - May 2005 - The Frontier Baking Issue/Living Big in a Small Venue
- A Note from Marcy - April 2005 - When Harry Met Salad
- A Note from Marcy - March 2005 - Baking with an Irish Broque; A Romance in the Dairy Queen One Fine March
- A Note from Marcy - February 2005 - She Just Doesnâ€™t Get Him, Valentineâ€™s Day Rebuttal and Cupcakes Galore
- A Note from Marcy - January 2005 - The Art of Changing and Making Space in a New Year
- A Note from Marcy - December 2004 - The Shall We Dance or Shall We Bake, Holiday Baking Issue and an Ode to Dance
- A Note from Marcy - November 2004 - The Bread and Soup Issue and How A Canadian Became Americanized (sort of)
- A Note from Marcy - October 2004 - The Field of Dreams Issue, Baseball and the Baker
- A Note from Marcy - September 2004 - The Catcher of the Rye Issue, What Falls Away, the Sweet Taste of Forgiveness and Letting Go
- A Note from Marcy - August 2004 - Itâ€™s All Greek To Me Issue and The Evils of Multi-Tasking
- A Note from Marcy - July 2004 - The Gone Fishinâ€™ Issue/Summer in the River City, A Bakerâ€™s Musical
- A Note from Marcy - June 2004 - The All That Jazz Issue, How To Scat and Improvise in Wheat
- A Note from Marcy - May 2004 - The Bread and Roses Issue, Goddess, Feminist or Feminineâ€¦and Fudge
- A Note from Marcy - April 2004 - Waiting for Happy, or If I Won the Lotto
- A Note from Marcy - March 2004 - Meet You in the Bookstore, My Love Affair with Books
- A Note from Marcy - February 2004 - Sweets for the Sweet, a Valentine From the Baker
- A Note from Marcy - January 2004 - How To Eat Right or Resolution 2004 â€“ How Not To Diet
- A Note From Marcy - December 2003 - The Sugar and Spice Issue
- A Note from Marcy - November 2003 - How To Weather the Weather, or Keeping Cozy in Late Fall
- A Note from Marcy - October 2003 (Part 2) - They Laughed When I Got Up To Bake, Hotel School Trials
- A Note from Marcy - October 2003 (Part 1) - How I Got Into Baking, A Bakerâ€™s Beginnings Part 1
- A Note from Marcy - September 2003 - Welcome To Wheatland, a bakerâ€™s fantasy or Camelot in Flour
- A Note from Marcy - August 2003 - Notes on Homemade Krispie Kreme Doughnuts
- A Note From Marcy - July 2003 - Memories of Summer Music Camp or Baking to Birdland
- A Note From Marcy - June 2003 - How to Play Hooky in Summer, An Urban Adventure
- April 2011 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash
- October 2008 Baker's Stash
- May 2010 Baker's Stash
- February 2009 Issue Baking by Heart Copy
- March 2009 Baker's Recipe Stash
- April 2009 Baker's Stash
- February 2009 Baker's Stash